Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Paris Adventure Begins Here...



I have had the most amazing dream and it can be found in Europe~ A land of beauty, opulence, romance, decadence, rich history, grandeur, nature, adoration, disgust, tightness, pretense, cobblestone, marble, the swish of oil paint on canvas, the colors of deep berries and vibrance, side streets of adventure, sadness, smells so vibrant they cannot help but be remembered, and a feeling of being too confined to a small space sucking the life breath out of you at times. The journey was well worth the wait, but maybe a little too played up in my mind? I had built this journey up to the highest of expectations, and for the most part it stood up to those expectations immensely...but not in ways that I had ever imagined. I found it to be an eye-opening, breath-taking, adventurously emotional experience as I had hoped and one that I will NEVER forget.


SO let me preface this all by saying, Paris is AMAZING!

However, I have also come to the realization that it is also highly overrated and completely over-romanticized. Whether it was the fact that Justin was not with me, or the rainy days we experienced, or the fact that we were staying in the outskirts of the city and not truly immersed in the culture and city as promised, I came away with a feeling that the city itself is quite pretentious and too fast-paced. I have found no other place on Earth has this pace other than in New York City. I never once found that small cafe where I could have my Carrie Bradshaw moment, feeding petit fours to feed my sugar rush and to my companion, a Saint Bernard sitting next to me. I never once had that...can you know see my problem? Over-romanticized much? LOL!!


I did notice that most Parisians are dressed to the nines, even in the middle of the night. The men ride the Metro systems in their suits and highly shined dress shoes, chatting on their cellphones, and the women are in stilettos and their pencil skirts sipping their Starbucks coffee while speaking the most elegant language I can imagine. I truly loved that. The French language is so beautiful and to hear it come from a well-dressed man, I can see why most women, or gay man for that matter, would fall head over heals in love. To hear it come out the mouths of babes? ADORABLE!



The photos will probably be ones you have seen in history or photo books of your time, but to experience them in real time, in 3-D, up close and personal is quite overwhelming and gasping. I pinched myself many times and had to remind myself to close my mouth. I was in awe. I am so grateful to Liz Pippins for offering up this adventure as a possibility to me and my folks. What an amazing experience...












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your photo!