Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Blast from the Past

So one of the joys of unpacking and going through all of your stuff is finding treasures you had forgotten about. One of the things I found in amongst all of my belongings were journals I had written in all the way back to 1996. It has been fun to go back a re-read the adventures, the lamentations, the struggles, and the moments where you find yourself thinking, "What the Heck? Did that really happen?"

I thought it would be fun to jot a few down in the coming months on this blog just to either brighten your day or provoke a conversation. May have been a personal revelation I came upon or a random experience. Either way, it makes me laugh just re-living it and sharing it with YOU.

So for the first of many posts...I take you to Omaha to my past job at Younkers. I wrote:

"So I am going up the escalator the other day at work. An elderly gentleman gets on in front of me and is 3 or 4 steps up from me and probably not knowing, or caring, decides that he is a going to fart on his way up. Not the light, airy, 'let it slip' kind of fart, but the dark, bubbly, juicy kind that gurgles. And the whole time I am standing there, thinking, 'REALLY'?"

"What the hell?"

"And the whole time you keep riding the thing up? And you don't turn around to apologize?"

This occurrence, as I wrote, reminded me of following Grandpa Higdem in random stores, usually hardware stores, and finding myself behind the gurgle and thinking, "Holy Hell, old man, REALLY?" Have some respect or decorum!

And what did I write that I learned from this experience?

PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR SURROUNDINGS.

You are welcome...

No comments: