Sunday, May 6, 2012

For some reason...

I have a milestone birthday coming up in a few weeks and I am just not as gracious and as excited and as pumped about it as much as my other high school friends seem to be about reaching it. I have friends who are wanting to throw parties. My family is wanting to throw surprise parties. I however, just want to crawl into a cave somewhere and just let this one pass. I have told them all, "The more I can forget this one, the better off I am going to feel."

"but no means yes..." is what I am being told...and yet I really feel no means NO in this round of ideas.

I don't like the idea of mourning the "Passing of Youth". I do not like the idea of wearing black, draping everything in drab, dark colors, throwing parties with tombstones, black balloons, black streamers, and signs screaming, "Lordy, Lordy..." 

I throw myself into the idea of throwing my mom the best retirement party we can throw. It is being thrown on the same day as the inevitable birthday...if I can just forget it and throw a better party with the family, the happier I will feel. Truly...the less mentioned this birthday is, the better I will feel... I would much rather celebrate something else this year than celebrating the blackness and passing. I know that I threw partieslike this in the past, yet for some reason, I cannot be as graceful about it as friends and family members have been. I just want to fight this one so much.

I think what it really boils down to is the idea of the passing of youth. I can look into the mirror every morning and see the grey/ white creeping onto my face and hairline. I can see the wrinkles beginning to form and I just want to erase it all. I just want to find the REWIND button and go back a little ways and be able to keep on experiencing new adventures with a younger age. Here's the crazy part...I do NOT want to go back and RELIVE the life experiences. I am sooooo happy with where and who I am today. But if I could just stop time to let me play catch up a bit. Soothe this milestone just a bit... I am just not prepared for this hurdle.

Maybe it is the idea that I still feel young. I still feel like I am in my early 30's. Perhaps that is the secret. Perhaps that is what I fear. Growing older and still being "young" in my mind and heart. Watching the image in the mirror grow older and still feeling like I can party like a child. Letting the image betray your mind. And that just makes me so sad...

I just want to go into the 40's guns blazing fighting all the way...is this what the idea of a midlife crisis looks like? That idea of fighting the passing of youth and thinking you are invinceable? Holy crapballs...this sucks...

1 comment:

Holly V said...

Brandon my dear I fear you are looking at this from the wrong angle. One thing I have learned in the last year is to celebrate each birthday no matter the age and feel grateful that you have your health, family, and friends to celebrate with you. I have lost some of both this past year and I know many people would give anything to celebrate just one more birthday with their loved ones. Every year we gain another number is another year we have been blessed with health, family, and friends. Youth is a spirit not a number and you my friend have a very youthful spirit!