Monday, November 3, 2014

When society demands that you "Man Up"


Heck, who am I to say that the strongest people have cried in front of me when I am usually the one tearing up. I have always said that I am much more in touch with my feminine side rather than with my masculine side...and that is sad when I read that. What that statement implies is that feminine is weak and emotional. That masculine is a symbol of strength, untowering and unwavering...emotionless...
And that could not be farther from the truth. Both sexes are strong. Both sexes are driven and powerful. Both have the capacity to be emotional and feel deeply...
But the true fact is that society never allowed one of them to be so...
And to this very day, I think that men are frowned upon to show their emotions.
Sad.
I think it is important to be honest.
I think it is important to be in tune, not only with yourself, but also with others around you.
I fail at this...
I get so busy. I get so caught up in the hectic race of life, the schedule, that I lose connection.
One of my former students brought a poem to the Forensics team last year for competition that was entitled, "Man Up." 
I remember not only being moved by his performance, but also by the strong verbage held within the lines.
The words may be a little off-putting...but the sentiment is strong and the content powerful...



No comments: