Sunday, March 7, 2010

PEEPS SEASON IS HERE!!

I have to admit...
I have an addiction...
I do enjoy an occasional soft sugary yummy goodness known as Peeps! Yes it is true.
I know you are shocked.
I think what got me hooked was my grad school mentor, now friend, Tom Bernard. Tom used to get almost giddy knowing that Easter was right around the corner. I remember coming down into the costume shop at NDSU and seeing carton upon carton upon carton of the sugar birds sitting on his cutting table. And he would carry on a conversation with me, while eating not just one bird, but a whole tray...
Yes 5 birds at a time.
Now I will tell you that I am not THAT addicted...but I do enjoy an occasional yummy treat.
They have Peep photo sites...place your Peeps in funny settings. Hysterical!
We have had ritualistic "Welcome Spring" moments that include Peeps on the Grill. Nothing funnier than watching those little birds begin to expand and then sag into between the grates.
Peeps in the microwave...
Boiled Peeps...kinda lack luster in comparison. And now that I read this...kinda morbid and demonic. And a waste of a good treat.
But the ULTIMATE??
Peeps Smores...The sugar gets a little crunchy and almost carmelized...meets graham cracker and Hershey's chocolate...YUMMY...
So perhaps it is the sugar rush...but I am always excited to see the little sugar critters appear on the shelves...knowing that the blades of grass are on their way.
Favorite color of this season??? Tangerine!! Just AWESOME!

No comments: