Friday, January 29, 2010

A Bucket List

From time to time, I get on Yahoo News to just look at what events are going on in the world...here is one post that got me thinking...

"It was Harriet Richardson Ames' dream to earn her bachelor's degree in education. She finally reached that milestone, nearly three week's after achieving another: her 100th birthday. On Saturday, the day after receiving her diploma at her bedside, the retired school teacher died, pleased that she had accomplished her goal, her daughter said. Ames had been in hospice care. 'She had what I call a 'bucket list', and that was the last thing on it, ' Marjorie Carpenter said Tuesday."

"Ames, who turned 100 on Jan 2nd, had earned a two-year teaching certificate in 1931 at Keene Normal School, now Keene State College. She taught in a one-room schoolhouse in South Newbury, and later spent 20 years as a teaching principal at Memorial School in Pittfield, where she taught first-graders."

What drew me to this piece was that idea of a "Bucket List", something I have been thinking about since the movie came out a year or so ago starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. Even though I have never seen the movie, I have thought "What exactly would be on my Bucket List? What kinds of things do I want to see and accomplish before God calls me home?"

I am going to be 40 in about two and half years and I would absolutely love to travel overseas and be in Paris when that milestone rings in. I have never been overseas and feel it would be absolutely perfect to reach such a milestone doing something I have never ever done before. And to be there with some of my closest friends would be wonderful, too...

Let see, what else would be on that list...
2. Travel to London
3. Skydiving
4. Take an Alaskan Cruise and see the whales
5. See the musical Jersey Boys
6. Play the role of Archibald Craven in The Secret Garden
7. Play the role of Harold Hill in The Music Man
8. Play the role of Sweeney Todd in Sweeney Todd
9. Travel to Rome
10. Sing with an orchestra
11. Record a CD for sale
12. Write a book. Maybe publish?
13. Have a child.
14. Build my own home and be able to design it the way I would like it...a dream home, if you will.
15. See the fall colors of New England
16. Rock climb
17. Parasail in the Carribean
18. Be remembered for being a good man.
19. Grow Muscles.

I think these are realistic??? And achievable!! Don't you?

What is on your Bucket List?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love your list Brandon! I've seen the movie and have been trying to figure out what I would put on mine. I think it's time I start to write them down, otherwise it isn't concrete! Thanks for sharing your list and best of luck to you in accomplishing it!
Take care,
Marcie