Saturday, August 20, 2011

A new YEAR begins!!!!

I have spent that last week, getting acquainted with my newest students. It always amazes me all students being to the tables. I find that this year, I feel more calm, more focused, more able to handle what comes my way. For that I am so grateful~ yet know that the time will come when the schedule will kick in, and everything will begin to roll towards hysteria. It always does.

One of the cool exercises I use with my Competitive Speech classes is an honesty circle. (I stole this from my co-worker...I just love it so much) It starts with a skein of yarn being thrown amongst members in a seated circle. The one throwing the yarn must tell the person they are throwing to one thing they like/ enjoy about that person. Upon receiving the yarn, that student must tell the group something they are working on this year or a goal they want to achieve this up coming year.

It is an event that is extremely honest, at times, and requires that we keep what is said in the honesty circle and inside my classroom walls. I love this exercise for its honesty and when it is completed, a web of hopes and dreams is created in the center of this group. It looks a great deal like a Native American Dream Catcher and I ask the students to raise or lower their yarn to show how intricate it can get. How much we depend on each other as a team, as a friend, as a human being with feelings. If even one person lets go (and I ask them to do let go), or says something hurtful, or lets another team member down, the shape and form of our creation does not stay the same and weakens. Kinda poetic and the kids love it, as do I. I then pass a scissors around the circle and the kids can cut off a piece of yarn to tie on their wrist to remind them of their hopes and goals they have set for themselves for this year.

It also serves as a great reminder for me and my own personal goals for my year.
This year I am:




  • striving to continue staying organized and focused when the schedules go into hyper drive


  • pushing for a community focus on arts in the classroom and opening all eyes to the power of the arts both in and out of the classroom


  • staying student focused and providing a well-rounded art focused education for all students


  • keeping myself open and truly listening. Being in the NOW and being present in the MOMENT. That I should take every moment in and be present in the here and now and fully invest into every situation I place myself into.


  • Reminding myself that I am the energy I put into every situation. If I put energy into something, it will come back to me thrice fold.


  • Just Breathe.


  • Love fully and laugh hard


Kind of lofty goals but I think totally achievable. So as I look at this lime green piece of yarn on my wrist, I think these goals and push myself toward the cliff ledge knowing that as soon as I leap, that net will follow and I can experience so much more that there is store for me in this brand new year ahead!



Are YOU ready for a leap??


1 comment:

bdhigdem said...

can you tell that I channeled Oprah today?