Monday, December 19, 2011

One Special Christmas Gift...

So the whole "moving into a new home" process has given me a chance to reflect on where I have been, all of the things I have accumulated over the years, and to reminisce over the things I have been given and think about the people who have left this Earth, who are special in my life and have helped to mold me into the man I am today.

One of the special gifts I received on December 25, 1977 was a pretty cool picture Bible given to me from my godfather Doug Lee and his wife, Penny. I can remember curling up on my bed, reading it before I closed my eyes at night, looking mostly at the pictures and reading different stories. I wondered at the pictures of Moses, of the Nativity, the Woman at the Well, The Crucifixion. I never really knew the function of a godfather other than to be this really cool, wonderful guy who was always good for a hug and had a sparkle in his eye and a smile on his face when I came into his store. His energy was vibrant and people just wanted to be around him. His personality was electric. And I felt honored and lucky to have been blessed with such amazing spiritual guide.

What exactly is a godfather? What is his purpose? What does he do that my parents do not already do? These were the types of things I asked myself at such a young age. I would come to realize that a "godparent" was someone who agreed to be the spiritual sponsor of a newborn baby at their baptism. Someone who agreed to lead them through life, providing them spiritual guidance. To be there when their Mommy and Daddy could not be. A godmother is very much the same in equivalency to a godfather.

I have been blessed sooooooooo much by two amazing godparents. They both have lead with such strength and passion and have shown me what true Godliness is. They have led by true example and have shown me how to be the man I am today. They both sacrificed of themselves, their time, their effort, their support, freely shared their faith, their hope, and their love. They have been there through the tough times and have shown me their pride in my accomplishments, supporting me through high school, college, and beyond. How do I ever repay this nurturing love and support? I cannot...or can I?

Well in a few weeks, my nephew Blaine will be 9 years old. Where does the time go? He is growing into quite the amazing young man, filled with wonder and adventure, trying very hard to be so much like his Daddy, and maintaining the humor and sparkle of his Mommy. These two very special people asked me to be Blaine's godfather. Sure I was his uncle, but the idea of godfather seemed daunting, especially when I was, and still am, on my own journey of faith and discovery. How was I going to pull this new role off? Even when I still had so many questions of my very own to answer.

It was then that I turned to the Bible and recollected on how Doug and Debbie have guided me. How would they take on this adventure if Blaine were me? I am sure they felt pretty much the same way I did...honored but a little scared. Confused but up to the challenge. And filled with love for such a special care package from heaven. And here we are a few days away from Christmas and this little heavenly package has grown into a bundle of energy, with laughter and creativity and about to turn nine years old.

At the same time, I was asked by a dear friend and her husband to also be the godfather to another heavenly bundle of joy by the name of Will...double the blessings, double the joys, double the spiritual guide! :) Will passed away shortly before his first birthday. He was not meant to be with us as long and I am thankful for the time he and I did have together.

Christmas is a time for children to get their wishes granted. They climb into Santa's lap and ask for the things their heart's desire. I struggle so much with, "Will he like it? Is it going to come off as lame or will he really dig it?" It truly is hit or miss with Blaine. Perhaps it is his age...perhaps we like different things? Who knows...

One thing I have decided is that this year one of Blaine's gifts will be a bit of nostalgia. My godfather passed away almost 2 years ago and I found the Bible he gave me in my packed boxes. I miss Doug so very much but I do know that he is looking down from above, watching over Will, guiding me through this life even from above. He is just that kind of guy, never to shirk his responsibility. I knew immediately that this Christmas was the year that I will pass this special Bible down to Blaine. So inside on the signature page that includes the date given and names of who gave me this wonderful Bible, I placed Blaine Garrett Goodson's name and then placed a letter from me written to him that he can hold onto explaining where this Bible came from, who gave it me, how special they were to me, and how special Blaine is to me. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

My biggest fear us that he will not "get it". My biggest fear is that it will fade and not be as "cool" as other gifts he receives. But this year, more so than ever, seeing how much Blaine LOVES to read, I felt it was time to pass down this heirloom, with my own personal touch and hope for the best.

No comments: