Saturday, August 31, 2013

One of those life changing moments...


No matter what anyone says, grief is hard and when you watch a parent's grief as they say goodbye to their little one, there is NOTHING you can say or do that is going to soften the blow. I have only been through this a couple of times in my life and it does not get easier.

One of my mentors said that this is the hardest part of being a teacher is saying goodbye to a student who left us so soon. I would have to agree with this whole-heartedly.

This young lady brightened everyone's lives. I remember meeting Alexa on my first week of teaching and she was so supportive. She was a part of a crew of students who worked so hard of make sure that my first year of teaching was not so daunting and they helped me with the transition. I am so grateful to these kids, more than they will ever know. What struck me about Alexa was that she was an "old soul", with an amazing smile, a twinkle in her eye and her amazing ability to color the world wherever she went.

I never had her in any of my classes, but she was involved in Stagecraft, in Art, and was highly involved in my first spring musical at North Little Rock, Beauty and The Beast. To watch her paint the set and work her magic with color, she selected color like there was no other. She graduated and went to UALR for Art, which was absolutely logical. However, she came back year after year to help us with our sets and never complained when asked her opinion. She created our moon for Midsummer Night's Dream and it was glorious.
She worked at a local restaurant where she met my family. My family even commented on this young lady's amazing spirit and sweetness. She even agreed to paint a portrait we had asked of her of my Dad and neice. She cringed when I asked, but she did it and it is absolutely beautiful!!! It hangs now on my Dad's office wall for remembrance.

We lost touch and from what I understand she spiraled down. It saddens me so much and wish she would have reached out so I could have somehow helped her.

Today we said goodbye to this sweet child. Gone too soon, taken from us before she could affect the world. And yet, she rocked our world by just being who she was. An accident that took her from us so soon.

She treated everyone with mutual respect, she helped those who were hurting, she provided the world with beautiful color and creativity and warmth and will be missed so much!!

Alexa, you are not hurting anymore. I could feel your presence today at the service. I know that it would be exactly how you would have wanted it to be. It had your hand all over it.

I am grateful to have known you, to have been able to work with you, and to have been able to call you one of my students. Sleep well, dear heart, and we shall see you soon. Paint something beautiful for us. I cannot wait to see what God has planned for you with Him.

1 comment:

jups2709 said...

Brandon I'm so sorry for your loss. Young death is always tragic and I'm sending prayers towards her family and you.