Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Tapping into my holiday roots...

And I bet you thought I was talking about my BLONDE hair and the roots that are sure to be coming....
NOPE!!!!
When I was growing up, we always loved to put the classic vinyl records on the record player and listen to the Christmas favorites...
Bing Crosby
Burl Ives
Perry Como
Rosemary Clooney
Judy Garland
Frank Sinatra
The Carpenters
We would put the records on and decorate the tree in the living room, with cider on the stove, and the lights would catch me up in the spirit. Bringing out the ornaments that had been packed so delicately to hang once again on the boughs. Good food, fond memories, holiday spirit, opening presents...so many memories that bring lightness to the ole heart and a smile across my face.

Jump ahead and today we consider others to be classic Christmas...we have more performers who have dominated today's holiday music tracks...
Mariah Carey
Harry Connick, Jr.
David Koz
Michael Buble
Whitney Houston
Amy Grant

To select just 8 songs for this Symphony concert was quite a challenge. I wanted ones that were traditional like:

Winter Wonderland


Santa Claus is Coming to Town



Or one of my faves:
Jingle Bells...with an Andrew Sister's style of arrangement.



What was so much fun this time around was getting the opportunity to sing with dear friends I had never gotten the chance to sing with but had always followed? adored/ admired them from afar.
One of them is the daughter of one of my dad's life long high school friends!!!!
Music brought us together for one evening of creating music together and it was such a cool gift!


No comments: