Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Healthy Balance

So the other day in class, I had a boring review of Commedia Del Arte planned as my class had a quiz coming up and then we were going to get back to doing some improv games. That was what the lesson plan was. I could feel like the class was unfocused somehow? They were restless, chatty, and heads were going down one by one. I decided to get them through the torture of stock characters, spontaneity, and lazzi and get them on their feet as quick as possible.
I got them onto one game and the chatting continued, particularly by two students who should have known better. They had both been warned before. So the thought process is do I write them up? I could feel myself coming unraveled and getting irritated. So I stopped the game. I decided to turn what was meant to be a fun portion of the class into writing a paper, all because students could not focus and keeps their mouths closed.
I could feel my blood boiling. I was so angry. I just do not remember my high school classes being so unfocused, so untrained, so not ready for college. But maybe that is it...maybe today's youth are not ready.
So one of my students peeked his head into my office and apologized for talking, when it was not even him being the problem. He actually has become one of my favorite students. He makes me giggle in class. Actually there are quite a few students who are like that. There are so many students that I just absolutely look forward to seeing every day! They make me smile! I guess that is why I do this. It is for them. It is for them that I get upset when doofuses ruin what could be a great class and turn it into one where I get ruffled and force them to write papers.
The next day, another student stopped me to apologize for yesterday's class. He mentioned that when he had come into my class (2 weeks late), he was scared and just knew he would hate this class. He was forced to take the class because it was the only class left that he could take on the schedule. However, he told me that he absolutely loves my class and was sad that those TWO students had ruined it for the rest. He said, "You do know that it is only two students who are the problem, don't you?" I agreed and do understand. So now it is how to refocus the problem children and get the class back on track...
Trying to find a happy balance between fun and studious endeavors...the challenges of being a first year teacher...

No comments: