Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I am struggling...

Ok, so I know that I have not been a good blogger here recently, but I have so many worthy excuses. BUSY being the only viable option I can come up with. Also, I am a first year teacher who has been absolutely swamped to the point of being overwhelmed- my second excuse. But I do have so many avenues from which to take this blog going forward, because life has been anything but BORING. Juicy tidbits ahead...

From Beauty and the Beast, our schedule went right into Prom, Post-Prom, State Speech Tournament, to studying for my Speech Praxis, which was probably the worst test I have taken in a LONG time, to auditions for Graduation Speaker and talent for Senior Breakfast. Can you see the direction this is going?

From time to time, I am faced with the phrase: "But you would not have thought this way when you were a student. You look at this with an entire different focus." The student of today is very different from the students we were in high school in the early 90's. My idea of the students of my generation (God that phrase seems to date me) were focused, driven, cohesive, challenged, fighters for what they believed in and passionate about everything. Or at least maybe I was. Then again maybe not. Maybe I am just lofty and jaded.

Today's students are all of these things and more. They are troubled, challenged on so many levels, fighters in gangs, and bring a whole other table of troubles to the table. They also bring a "What's in it for me?" and a "How much is this gonna be worth?" type of attitude to the table that at times can be extremely daunting and nerve-wracking. Almost like they are in a bargaining mode or a "If this is not worth too many points, I am going to consider not doing it," type of thought process. This thinking process would NEVER EVER have crossed my mind because although I may not have agreed with my instructors, I damn well respected them enough to know that "NO" was not an option. I got my homework turned in and it was on time. I never negotiated. I never questioned.

Seniors these days are allowed to exempt their semester tests if they have put in the correct amount of hours and missed no days. This is good. This is a wonderful option for students to achieve. The down side is that they get a mentality of shutting down about four weeks before finals. BOOOOOO!!!! Senioritis! I cannot tell you how many comments from my seniors sounded like, "Well, if I am exempting your test and not performing my monologue for a grade, why do I have to present the monologue in class?" I respond, "Because you are exempt does not buy you free time in every class leading up to semester tests. If you choose to do nothing with your class time, I cannot give you participation points"
"THAT'S NOT FAIR!!! This class is supposed to be easy", I hear under their breath.
"Darlings, life is NOT easy and this is my class. I control it according to my rules. If you do not like the rules, you can pay the consequences." God, I sound like my parents!! ;)

This brings me to an event known as SENIOR SKIP DAY. Seniors miss days during Junior testing. They miss the entire day of Prom to get ready. And then I find out today that the day of their Senior Breakfast, an event which happens to be before school starts, has become known as Senior Skip Day. So to combat this I decided to set it up so that if they choose to miss my classes, by skipping this day, they would not get class participation points for that day. Here's the clincher that I find out...if they buy a ticket for breakfast, they are exempt for the ENTIRE day. SAY WHAT??? To call it a SKIP day shows a choice being made NOT to attend class...Why should I bless this with exemption and points if you cannot get yourself to class and be functional as such?

I try so hard to be a good teacher. I try so hard to be liked and let students know that they have a home away from home, that our department is fun and safe and nurturing. But this SUCKS on so many levels and I do not want to be "THAT" asshole teacher. I need to come up with some sort of plan for next year. Or maybe it is a idea of giving the seniors a HUGE 250/350 point project that is due the first days back from the SENIOR SKIP DAY weekend that #1) They cannot afford to not do. #2) Would allot for a written portion of their semester test, which is the following week.
-OR-
I give 50 bonus points to those students who were actually in class and attended. Something meaty and substantial.

I just do not want to be an asshole teacher...but I know deep down that kids these days feel that they are in control, they could care less, and that they will be given everything on a silver platter...and we all know that the minute they hit the "hallowed halls" of their upcoming alma mater, they are going to receive a harsh awakening.

Down from Soap Box#1...
I am tired...
Thanks for listening...
Love-
B

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Brandon! Let me express how glad I am that I found this blog. I cannot agree with you more being an educator myself! I even felt that pinch between generations during my Senior year of College--and no matter how much I tell myself that I will not turn out like my mother, everyday I get a little closer and it's kids like these that make us so. All in all--I wanted to say that you were one of, if not the best musical director I've ever experienced--and I mean it! :)

Christa said...

Wow...i'm not suprized...but still, wow. where are you teaching?

Jen Brickley said...

You know what? You should be proud that you are a teacher that cares!!! Like all things when we are teens, we don't necessarily appreciate these sort of things until we are older. They will appreciate everything you are doing to get them to care and to take responsibility for themselves. Being a first year teacher is a really hard job. Keep your head up, I know you are doing great! Jen Brickley

DuRob said...

Well baby, I feel your pain. Though not a teacher you know I have worked with lots of kids...

I will say this, When I was having trying times with a child/students I usually revert to a choice. You said they feel like they are in control, and ultimately they are in control of what they do.

Case in point - In my younger days of adolescent angst, I told my mom I was gonna run away, and she told me I could leave, as long as I didn't take anything she bought. I said "But I'll be naked?!?" and she replied "But you'll be free. You have a choice to make." and walked away, and as of course i didn't wanna be naked, I went to my room.

Give them choices, just make them "good" choices! LOL

Keep smiling, we are all with you! You can channel me sometimes if you like, I got enough "sass" to go around!