Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Friends like these...


I have so many wonderful friends in my life. God has blessed my life and has provided me paths where I have had the chance to meet amazing spirits who have so richly provided me solace, a strong shoulder to lean on, hours and hours of laughter, and put up with my rantings and ravings.
I am going to start a blog post centered around friends of mine and how we have met.
These two are quite the pair!!! This is Mr. Geoff Carlson and Mr. Wai Yim. Since moving to Little Rock, I have lost that strong sense of core friends I had in Omaha. The moment this photo was taken was in O'Hare Airport in Chicago over Christmas Break.
Geoff works in the airport as a chocolatiere. He and his partner Keith have been together for years and have served as a huge model for me on how to "make it work". When life throws curves your way, how do you make it work and do it together? Their relationship speaks absolute volumes to me on how to have a successful relationship with one partner in a job that requires you to move around form contract to contract.
I have known Geoff for many years and appreciate his ability to be a wonderful listener. He is always there for me and is one of those friends that no matter how long we have been apart or chatted, we just pick up from where we left off and not miss a beat. I appreciate the certain sparkle in his eye, his humanity towards mankind, and his ability to grace this world with his amazing spirit.
The other glowing electricity next to him is my dear friend, Wai. I have known Wai since 1999. I remember Wai when he was still struggling to develop his English and struggling to learn our language. Originally from Hong Kong, Wai has worked as a flight attendant and travels all around the world. True story. Wai flew into Chicago because he knew that I would have a lay over and that Geoff and I were planning on being together for that time. So he hopped a plane and flew over to be with us.
Wai has this innate ability to light up a room upon entering. He has an enviable sense of comedic timing and jokes that we are all like the Sex and the City gals...him being Samantha! :) I would stand in line to see Wai in any show he is cast in as he has a strong sense of who he is when he is on stage and is not afraid to step outside the box and create amazingly hysterical, human characters that are grounded and well-rounded.
Wai struggles so much with juggling his strong sense of responsibility to his family, his job, and his craft. We all do to some sense. How do we not feel guilt for exploring our creative sense of self at the expense of others...when it comes to time and effort to make things work.
I love these boys so much and appreciate their love and friendship so much. I would not be the man I am today without your love and support.

No comments: