Thursday, June 4, 2015

Will bring tears to your eyes...

Imagine if you will...
Exhausted.
Tired and wanting that second cup of coffee to kick in. It is early morning and I am driving into the school parking lot...and it is early. It has been a long seven weeks of extended days. It has been long days of beginning around 7 am and completing the day around 6/ 630 for seven full weeks. Kids are cranky. I am cranky.
I pull into that parking lot and take my usual spot. I look over and see one of my sophomores and her mom in the car pulling up next to me. I had had this student's brother in my class in the past and he was  a member of my Forensics team as well. I even had the awesome opportunity to teach this young man in my Intro the Theatre course at a local community college.

He is an awesome young man. He played Teddy in my production of Arsenic and Old Lace and Ghost of Christmas Present in A Christmas Carol. Super talented, super personality and HUGE looming presence. He is honest, almost brutally so, but that is one of the things that we all appreciated about this student. And his knack for creating terrific oratories on our Forensics team were truly awesome.

Skip ahead to this moment in the parking lot. Momma gets out of the car and comes around with a lime green gift bag. I get out of the car and immediately say, "Good morning!! What a pleasant surprise!!!"

Momma then says, "This is for you from David. He just graduated from Pulaski Tech with his Associates degree with honors. His advisor encouraged him to not save this stole, but to give it to someone who has changed his life. And he wanted me to give this to you for you have truly changed his life for so many good reasons." and inside is his graduation honor stole with an awesome note of thanks on it.

I am, of course, immediately crying and all I could say was, "WOW. That is so cool!! And you tell David that he got me to CRY again SOOOOOOO early in the morning"

It is one of those moving moments in my life that I will never forget. I will have to find a special way to display this awesome tribute. Super sweet and thoughtful and am so honored to have been a part of this young man's journey.

No comments: