Thursday, August 17, 2017

The pull of Medora

So many years ago, a little boy slowly descended the ravine into an amplitheatre built there. The benches were rough, the path down was long, and the experience was magical. We, as many North Dakotans, went to this musical every year. That little boy was in awe of the music, the dancing, the live horses, the stories being told, the history lesson brought to life, the fireworks. It was all amazing to his little mind and he just sat there year after year taking it all in, vowing one day to try and become a part of it all...Jump ahead to a cold February morning...this little boy...now off to his first year of college...hopped a plane to head to Minneapolis for an audition. He was so green behind the ears...not even sure I remember the audition song or the dance routine...but I remember the feeling of getting that call from Fred Smith those many years ago, telling me that I would be a Burning Hills Singer that summer. And that opened the door to a vast amount of adventures, terrific memories, life stories, WONDERFUL friendships that have withstood the tests of time, and experiences beyond compare. From working in the town of Medora during the day, to clogging on HUGE moths on the stage under the starry skies, to mice having babies in your boot found right before you have to go on, to rainouts, to the parties back in Belfield...our home away from home...with folks who quickly became dear friends...
It was so much fun on this personal journey of mine to be back in Medora, to spend time with dear friends and to watch them perform and do what they do best. Emily and Jared...I am in awe of you both and love you immensely and the time we were all able to spend getting reconnected...PRICELESS.
NOTE: If you get out there this summer...go see their day shows!!! INSPIRING!

I was able to go back and see the musical that night and relive those days. Descending into the amplitheatre brought the rush of memories flooding back to me. To see this year's cast hoofing and singing and dancing and laughing and having such a terrific time made me long for those days...as I joked with Chet, who was a little guy when I was a Burning Hill Singer, and is now the current Co-Host of the musical, I long to be up there, but know that these old feet wouldn't last a week with all the dancing they now do...so much more than when we were in the cast.
I will always feel that tug to want to be back out there performing.


It is a little jarring to go back and see their Ticket Booth Building at the top of the Hill. Lots and lots of photos and memories of past productions...over 50 years worth of photos and costumes and memorabalia. I say jarring as they have lifesize cut-outs of my very first year during our clogging routine.







I always get selfies sent to me from friends attending the musical with my 18 year old face behind them and it makes me giggle. Always a little jarring and a little giddy...

And I always think..."If only I could tell that youngin' a few things now..."


Medora has left an indelible impression on my heart that will never go away. The fondest memories and friendships were created there and it is always never far from my thoughts.

I know that when my journey on this life is over, I want to somehow be in the Badlands and in the place that calls to me over the miles.

No comments: