Saturday, August 19, 2017

the rough days ahead

I know there will be rough days ahead...
It all doesn't go away after burial...
The year of firsts comes to an end on September 5th...but then it becomes the second year without her... but it is not THE FIRSTS. And oddly, I take a little solace in that for some reason.

Not blindly...just honestly

One moment during the potluck let me know that this is never over...just different...without her presence.
I was standing in the kitchen with my cousin DeeAnn and my Godmother, Debbie, and Debbie's granddaughter Alyssa came into the kitchen, walking right up to DeeAnn and saying, " Come here. Come Here. I want to show you a picture of you."

Alyssa then led DeeAnn into the living room to the tri-folds of Mom's pictures we created for her memorial service in the lobby. Alyssa pointed to the large 8X10 of Mom's photo from Justin and my wedding and said, "Right here"

"No, no honey, that isn't me. That is my Aunt Bonnie." DeeAnn said and I could just feel the tears well up in my eyes. When DeeAnn came back into the kitchen, I could see how Alyssa could have mistaken her for Mom. She looks so much like her. And so does Debbie. And so does my cousin Sherri. And so do each of us on different levels...and maybe that is definitely how it is supposed to be...reminders...some gentle...so more pushy...some that just bulldoze you over and smack you across the face.

And while it hurts right now thinking about that moment, I know that eventually that will become such a wonderful thing...a piece of her in all of us...immortalized by genetics...but also the fond memories in our hearts and on our souls...of this special lady who could win you over with just a smile and a hug.

And for that I am grateful.

So my friends...

Stay the Course.
Keep the Faith.
Stay Positive.


And make sure your life is a 
LIFE WELL LIVED!!!

No comments: