Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Lining up to support hatred and discrimination?

OK so I am feeling out of the loop...
I may have to put my two cents worth into this Chik-fil-A debate, as much as it sickens me to do so...
.
Today I am driving to school and the traffic was HORRIBLE...backed up for miles. My initial reaction to seeing the lines of people outside of our local Chik-fil-A, and seeing the blocks and blocks and blocks of traffic jams and police cars directing traffic...my initial feeling is like I, among others, have been kicked in the gut. An almost breathless feeling. I then proceeded to remind myself that I truly needed to remember that I placed myself smack dab in the middle of the Bible belt? Why should I be shocked at these actions? Why should I think that I am able to change people's minds when they are not the ones affected by other's actions?

I have Sirius Satelite radio and we listen to OutQ talk radio. If you have not heard of these...very VERY entertaining and very informative on many levels. Michelangelo Signorile holds a talk show in the afternoons on this channel and happened to be holding a debate on this very topic the other day. It seems that the Log Cabin Republicans sent a letter to him stating that their fellow gays were griping, complaining, and becoming drama queens over a chicken sandwich and didn't we have other more valuable areas to place our focus of debate? But if not here, then where?

Years ago, Target was ostracized for donating to a local Congressman's campaign who chose to vote to defeat Minnesota's upcoming marriage equality amendment. After a great amount of negative publicity, Target apologized for their actions and have in turn donated more money to LGBT community functions. I do not see this happening for the Southern-based restaurant chain in question.

For you see, it is not a debate over a chicken sandwich. It is a debate over equality. It is a debate over the idea that we are not second class citizens. It is a debate over the fact that at any time we can be fired for who we love. It is a debate over the fact that in some states, we can be removed from our loved one's hospital rooms and made to sit in the waiting rooms and receive knowledge second hand. It does not matter how long a relationship has been together. It is a debate that will continue to rage on for months even years. It sickens me, but it has nothing to do with waffle fries.

So for me, I am choosing to not go to Chik-fil-A because they make a terrific chicken sandwich. I am choosing to not give my money to Chik-fil-A because of their choice to fund campaigns that promote hatred, promote discrimination, and promote a society where "all created equal" is not the truth. They have made this completely biblical in nature when there should be a separation between church and state. And they are not alone in their support. Other businesses are just as guilty and believe me they are not the only one who will not receive my funds for their services. I can and will shop elsewhere.

Here's the dealio: They have every right to do as they please with their money. They have every right to speak their mind. In this country, there is such a thing as freedom of speech and I support that. However, I have every right to speak my mind just as freely or to make the choice to just not put my money in their coffers so that they can continue to promote things they should quite possibly just stay the heck out of...SO they can take their chicken sandwich and give it to those who support their business practices.

I pray for a day when things are different, where hatred and discrimination are not chosen over Christian values of love and understanding. I am saddened that we are not there yet...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen
Scott Miller

Courtland said...

You put into words what most people who are on your side are thinking. Not only do they say these things, but they have donated money to lobbyists who are against marriage equality.

Courtland McD

Anonymous said...

I've always thought McDonald's had a delicious chicken sandwich anyway. Adios, Chik-Fil-Meanies.