Monday, August 6, 2012

The Risky Business of Church...

Last night, the church Justin and I have been attending wrapped up it's series: "Sticks and Stones: When God's Word Hurts" Let me just say that I believe that God has put us in the right place at the right time. This series has spoken to the most deepest part of my heart...it touched me greatly, deeply, and last evening's sermon was a great finale to the series. I was so deeply moving and this series answered alot of questions my heart has dealt with for years and years and years...and for the first time in my life I feel like I can put my faith and trust back in God's hands fully and heartfully.

Will asked the United Methodist District Superintendent, Dede Roberts, to come and speak to us about the role women play in the church and the Bible. What has been so intriguing was that the last few weeks have been on topics the Bible demonizes that today's culture has clearly moved on from. I mentioned this before when Will began the series. Yet Dede pulled it all together so wonderfully for me as she not only spoke to all of our feminine members, but also to those of us who are gay.

She spoke of feeling the call to preach when she was very young, at the age of 15. She mentioned, " I felt I needed to keep this quiet because I was not sure what to do with this information" Sounded very familiar? She spoke with numerous people, at the time, including pastor, youth pastor, and mom, who all said the same thing...yes. Yes. YES! Now during this time period, no women were preaching or were allowed to have anything to do with the leadership of the church. She mentioned it to her co- president of the Fellowship of Christian athletes, who IMMEDIATELY began spouting Bible verses that said, "NO woman will hold a position higher than a man." If you have read my blog, you understand my tenseness to these actions. No one feels great to have these Bible verses hurled into your face. With anger. With hatred. With agression.

She went on to say that she realized in that moment that, "I was always going to be a second class citizen, not by a common act, but by how I was created." These words RANG in my head!!! How I was born, made me a minor, a lower class, and would not be able to break from this. Dede went on to say, "We were all created in God's image."

There are so many Bible verses that just cannot be taken word for word any longer because of how society's views have changed. One verse even goes as far as to say that if a man rapes a virgin, his penance is to pay the father of the girl 50 sheckles and has to marry the girl. SERIOUSLY???? This verse, not only ruffles the feathers of today's earthly inhabitants, but also shows how much women were valued many many years ago. There are even Bible verses saying you will go to hell if you eat shrimp!!! WHUH THUH WHUH? Check out GodHatesShrimp.com. LOL!!!!!!!!

All of the speakers of this series then went on to say that they doesn't buy it. The verses cannot always be what God was telling us, even though these verses were written with "Divine Intervention", but also could have been created with the cultural, society views of the time as well. You see, if women were looked at this way during the time of the Bible's writing, society would look the same way on men being feminine behind the bedroom walls.

Dede then went on to say that Paul's writing to the Galations sets the moral code we should follow, "In Christ, everything gets leveled out. The differences don't matter anymore, because the resurrection changed everything. I don't believe these verses can redirect the spirit of God for God is LOVE, plain and simple." And that is the risky business of this church. I believe this very VERY much! God does not create second class citizens. He creates everyone in his own image.

She went on to say, "Not everyone believes this way of thinking. No one knows what God thinks. No one knows what the full truth is, but I will take the risk in order to include as many as I can under the umbrella of God's love and grace." It will extend out wider than Christ's outstretched arms on the cross. She said, " I will stay at the table to make sure that we break down the barriers of slavery, sexuality, and gender, because I believe that that is what God is calling us to do."

Even in her prayer she called to my heart..."Thank you for the oppressors who push us stronger into our faith. We pray for unboundless love while others build walls". If you read my blog post right before this one...was I not just lamenting about this??? I wrote that post yesterday afternoon and then came to church and quieted my heart and this is what pushed through...

I believe in the calling. I believe that if we are just quiet and still, God will come to us, if we are willing to listen.

I am so grateful for this amazing experience and feel lighter and ready!





No comments: