Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Unexpected Shots of Light...

Just when I thought that life was darkest...God sends me a little shaft of light to break through and show me a little bit of purpose.


I experienced yet another momentous first the other day...I was able to attend a former student's wedding and celebrate this with them. I came into the church and stood in line to be able to sign the guest book and to put my card in the basket. I do this and take a program and notice a woman standing next to the table, all dressed up and looking me right in the eye. She then says to me, " I have been waiting, hoping you would be able to get here for today." She then asks if she can give me a hug.


Mind you. I am horrible with names yet she looked sooooooo familiar to me. As she hugged me, she says in my ear, " I am so grateful to you. I am so glad that my son has found such a great mentor in you and felt comfortable enough to come out to you."


Shots of light. This is a mom to one of my Forensics team students who sought me out to share something he has been going through. It was so humbling as I live a very quiet life and do not talk about my personal life with my students. I just feel like there is a separation between my work and my life and do not want any lines to be crossed. But I was so grateful that he felt comfortable enough to share this with me and to ask questions. I was able to share life experiences, life moments when I found nuggets of knowledge, of light, of ah ha moments and hopefully help him to begin this coming out process to his parents and family. I was able to share my own personal struggle with faith and what the bible says about homosexuality. Thankfully, he has come out and has been embraced and supported, which is not always the case.


She went on to say that she was so grateful that her son was able to feel comfortable to come out to me, that I shared my life experiences with him, and that I had also included my faith struggle and what I learned about my own life and what God has intended for it. She just kept hugging and talking and I was so moved that as I walked away, I could feel the tears in my eyes...


Its those moments that I am so grateful. I can feel my purpose. I can know that this is why I am here, at this moment, and know that God is leading me through...

No comments: