Wednesday, December 27, 2017

All of this...


The phrase: "Not my circus...not my monkeys" has entered my vocabulary over the past year or so. 
The last year has been so eye-opening for me. 
I have found that I am such an empathetic personality. 
If I could I would take on everyone else's hurts and sadness and problems, whether it was trying to help fix, or emotionally place myself in what they must be thinking or feeling at that one particular moment. I have had to learn to try and separate myself from this. And I am doing a horrible job of this.
But I know I have to come to the realization that I have to figure out how to do it...
With grace.
With eloquence.
With speed.
With strength.
For my own emotional health.
And yours.

I cannot change your past for you.
I cannot change your mistakes, your choices, regardless of whether or not I agree with them.
They are yours to own.
I have my own issues to deal with.
I have my own course to chart. 

I cannot change choices for you.
I cannot change things people have done that I strongly disagree with as much as I would like to be able to.
I get so wound up on folks either not listening to advice, asking for advice that they never take, even though they asked for feedback.

What I need to learn is do is to just listen.
To stop.
To breathe.
To place focus on cues others give.
And not feel the need to provide advice when it is not asked for.
And to not take things so personally.
Separate emotion and feelings because I get too wound up.

Wish me luck.


No comments: