Thursday, December 28, 2017

One thing I learned about myself this year...

I found this topic on Pinterest and placed it under journaling...
But it struck me and really called on my heart...so I thought why not give 'er a shot...
So here goes...

I have learned so much more than just "one thing" this past year.

I have learned that navigating through death is difficult and different for each of us. It is the strangest thing I have ever witnessed and experienced. I have learned to honor the emotions as they come. I have learned to meet those dealing with death right where they are, love them, offer support, not try to explain everything, and let them be...be present...make myself present...and if they need me...

I have learned to create and honor the personal checklist. Whether it is a checklist in your mind or a physical checklist on paper...honor it and get it done. The feeling of accomplishment and pride in completing something is overwhelming. The biggest moment of my life was knowing that I was able to complete the checklist for my mom. Being able to honor her life and her death this year was important to me. Feeling her presence in the Badlands and her burial was overwhelming and life changing for me. The darkness has lessened a bit  and I felt lighter on some levels.  I am a changed man on some levels,too.

Always know that sometimes there will be difficult discussions but sometimes these discussions need  to happen. You just need to remain calm, never let your anger get in the way, and just be truthful and honest. And most importantly, just listen and be present.

So many times in my past, I have felt like I had to be the life of the party. I must always be entertaining at all times. I must always be the fun one. I have learned patience and peace. I have learned to listen and be present in the quiet times. My husband has taught me this and for that I will always be eternally grateful.

You can only be so much. You cannot be everything to everybody. You have to protect yourself or you will be nothing to everyone and you will kill yourself doing it.

I have learned to embrace tradition. Honor the memories of the past. Create your own traditions and memories.

Enjoy your own adventures. Create them and navigate through them.

Hugs are important. Smiles and laughter are preferred.

Keep living life fully. Stay connected to your friends and family.

Live life and enjoy it.

Stay the course.
Keep the Faith.
Stay positive.

Carry on...

No comments: