Monday, December 8, 2014

Digging through the ornaments and memories....

 


It's the time of the year to haul out the trees and dust off the ornaments and to bring back all of the nostalgia and fond memories of Christmases of long past and not so long ago. Every year I have a tradition of placing some special ornaments on my tree that have very special meaning to me that I thought I would share with you over the next few blog posts.
The first two ornaments have donned my tree every year since their passing. They always go right at the top and are never far from my thoughts as they are at the very core of my fondest memories of Christmas. My grandparents always made their homes open to us, with good food, wonderful laughter, and such joy. 
My Grandpa and Grandma Pete were always filling our hearts with their stories and laughter. They lived in this trailer home in Shevlin, Minnesota and though the house be small, it was filled to the brim, overflowing with love and good cheer. I miss the Progessive dinners and the homemade gift exchange...a chance for family to get together, eat amazing food, and give gifts we had made with love.
My Grandpa and Grandma Higdem always opened their home to us during Christmas. I remember Christmas dinner and having to wait to open presents until all the dishes were in the washer and everything was put away. I was the only grandchild on this side of the family and my grandparents spoiled me. 
At the Higdem's, I loved being able to go into the woods and find a little Christmas tree for the attic where my bedroom was. I would decorate this Charlie Brown tree with whatever lights and decorations didn't make it to the tree in the living room. These ornaments still don my tree today. Folks may look at these and think...WHY? Why those old things? 
But to see those fragile ornaments and be reminded of fond memories...to see my Grandmother's hand-writing on the stocking ornament and to be reminded of these childhood memories is always a source of anticipation for my season...


No comments: