Sunday, December 14, 2014

The power of family...

I have found that I love the mini-picture framed ornaments are a reminder of those you love and adore. One year, I created ornaments out of wood blocks and paint and glitter and ribbon and photos of all my friends. It made my tree so cool...but you know what? I have brought that box out every year and never put them on my tree for some reason...I guess in the hope of getting another tree one year and putting it all up...having just a tree for my fondest loved ones...The box gets opened...photo ornaments get looked at and then put back in the box and closed for another year...one year I will have a house big enough to be able to have more trees...Justin, just close your ears...LOL

Two more ornaments on my tree every year that I always look forward to putting on my tree...

I have many special women in my life. One is my sweet cousin, Sherri. She holds a special place in my heart. She was the first family member, other than my folks, I ever came out to. I just knew that she would get me. She would understand and completely love me. and she has always been there to love me, to support me, to hold me up when the moments were the darkest, for both of us...we have shared so much together. Our life paths are so much the same and you could say we are kindred spirits and I am so blessed to have such a true heart to call family. Her personality radiates over the phone across the miles, You can hear the smile on her face, You meet her and just want to know so much more about her. She is just that kind of gal. She is so giving, so nurturing, so loving and lives each moment for the fullest possible amount. And even though Justin and I will not have the traditional wedding party with the groomsmen and bridesmaids this next summer etc, Sherri is flying from across the country to be there for our special day and will be the one to sign my wedding licence as my witness. I could not be more thankful for her love and support...heck I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face just thinking about it...

Another special woman who always makes my tree and is near and dear to my heart is my dear, sweet friend, Shari...odd that they have the same name and different spellings isn't it?? Shari and I have been friends since the beginning of time...or at least first grade. We have  been through so much. Shari got me through high school. Shari got me through the speed bumps and loved and supported me through the gawkiest phrases of my life...not without the mocking of the gray leather bow tie I wore in junior high for school pictures....how someone could not know then that this one was destined for gayness, I will never know. She brings it up many times....its those friends who know exactly which buttons to push...or punch perhaps...we both have those buttons and that is what makes me smile when I think of her. I love her so much and am so grateful God placed such an endearing friend in my life...as the years have gone forward...our lives have become more and more hectic and our chats are less and less and that saddens me greatly...its those friendships that you want to last, that you want to be able to talk to weeks on an end...yet it now becomes months before talking...I am grateful for the fact that this friendship has withstood the test of time and that it is a friendship that no matter the time between calls or seeing each other, we pick up where we leave off. AH the beauty of such a friendship

This year marked the passing of a family pillar. My Uncle Don is celebrating his first Christmas in heaven...I just felt it was time to make SURE he became a part of this Christmas tradition of mine. And I love the picture of him with my Mom. They shared a special bond between them. But also created another ornament of four very special women also in my life. It was a selfie... My Aunt Doris, my godmother Debbie, and my cousin Stacie with her daughter Alyssa. This makes my heart smile... I have mentioned them quite a bit this year...and I consider each of them  my Christmas blessings this year and every year. A strong example of love. A strong example of creativity and motherhood. Even my cousin  Laura, (sadly not pictured) is such strong woman who exemplifies this.


Here is what my point is...I consider such great blessings in having such strong female leadership and loving examples in my life. My grandmothers, my mother(s), my godmother, my sisters, my aunt, my cousins, my friends are all shining examples of strong, nurturing, loving, honest, Godly women who lead their lives in such strong examples of how to treat others, how to love others, how to support each other in the face of adversity and struggle, and teaching each of us how important family truly is, every day of the year.

I am so thankful for the example they have set...for the lives they lead...and for the love they have shared. 

Who are your Christmas blessings? Go out and get them on your tree folks... a gentle reminder and a smile on your face every year at ornament unpacking

No comments: