Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Being a rainbow in someone's cloud

SO POWERFUL!!!!

When she begins to sing, I am transformed back to the Medora nights, singing this very gospel number under the starry nights. God put a Rainbow in the clouds and I am at peace.

I have been spending my days talking with my students about inspiration and of those who have been inspirational to me. Talking about the idea of family and treating each other with respect and being a positive force in someone else's life. Being a team and being a positive influence in how you treat others.

I have had so many inspirational forces in my life who have guided me, have provided me guidance and joy and nurturing and laughter and hope. They were my rainbows in the darkest days and continue to be so even after they have been gone...whether by death or by distance.

Mrs. Simek...guided my passion of theater and helped to guide my leadership abilities. She was such a strong and sweet woman who loved me as her own and was always good for a twinkle in her eye and a smile on her face. What a terrific woman and am so blessed to have been in her second grade classroom.

P. Pendleton...she was such an amazing force and we only had one summer together in Medora. Yet it was her personality, her beautiful deep alto voice, and her strength as a woman that was profound to me. Even from the first introduction where she introduced herself, with the following, " My name is Patricia Pendleton, but you can call me Miss P." And from that moment forward, I adored her. She was taken from us much too soon.

I spoke to my own kids of my sixth grade teacher who taught us all to believe in ourselves. Mrs. Evanson is an inspiration to everyone she comes in contact with. Her sixth grade classroom was built on building your self-worth, your belief in your capabilities, and striving for higher more lofty goals. All while learning what we needed to learn. She continues to inspire me and I will never forget her.

I have so many rainbows in my clouds that have nurtured me. Have driven away the darkness by their light. Have been thinking so much about these wonderful women who have made such an impact on my own life. They have been my rainbows, among so many others who have touched my soul so deeply.

My goal for the year ahead is to be a rainbow for my students. To remind myself of the examples I have learned from all of my own rainbows, whether they are present on this earth or soaring up among the clouds.

I love what Ms Angelou asks us to be a blessing to somebody. To be that very rainbow and to be the one who someone can reach out to and that it doesn't matter who you are, we all need rainbows on the cloudiest of days...

I can buy into that...
It is a grand lesson...
It is a grand goal...

No comments: