Monday, September 1, 2014

Nostalgia





Last night, my uncle and aunt drove in from North Caroline for a quick trip. I only see them maybe once a year and it is usually on a drive through on their way to California or just a quick trip to Little Rock for a quick visit.
Justin and I got there and Dad was just putting the steaks on the grill. It was a beautiful night. I have ALWAYS said that Allyn looks so much like my Grandpa Higdem. He always has. Snowy white hair, eye and chin structure. Well last night struck me quite heavy. It was just Allyn and I standing out on the deck visiting and at one moment, he looked up at me and I was blind-sided by a look my Grandma Higdem used to give me. I could see her in him and there were mannerisms that he did that reminded me of her as well.





I have had this happen to me as well...folks telling me that I look and act just like my Dad. Mannerisms. Glances. Gestures. It is bound to happen...we certainly are a wacky, motley crew that's for sure.







To be fair, when I am in North Dakota/Minnesota with my Mom, I get it there as well, that I look so much like her too. :)

It is a happy mix, I guess...as it should be.












It just struck me so hard last night. I was not prepared for it.
I miss Grandma very much.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I miss your Grandma too! She was such a special lady!