Friday, July 1, 2011

Eiffel Tower Adventure











Our visit to the Eiffel Tower was numbing and exciting. The thing you have to remember about Paris, when you visit, is that the city is filled with pick-pockets. Nowhere was it more prevalent than at the site of the Eiffel Tower. Little children trying to beg for money. People asking for you to take their photograph. Young girls asking you to view their petition for a signature. You have to be SO careful. These types of things make me tense.









The Eiffel Tower is visible from all around the city. Upon our first sighting, I felt so exhilarated and in that moment, Paris became real for me. I had a floating feeling, a emotion of "Am I really here? Is this truly real?". The minute I saw the Tower in all its grandeur, I sighed a breath of relief and knew for a fact that I was indeed in the Paris I had dreamed of.









The tower itself is immense. Built as an entrance arch to the World's Fair of 1889, the Eiffel Tower was designed by Gustave Eiffel and is the tallest structure in the Parisian Skyline. The tower stands 1,063 feet tall, 81 stories, and is the tallest man-made structure in the world. There are three levels that guests can climb too, the third being the only level that has to be reached through elevator. When we arrived, we were on a bit of a time crunch. The discussion was on whether or not we should take the elevator/escalator or would it be quicker to take the stairs. It was agreed upon that that stairs would be quicker. WRONG!!! 700 stairs to the second level!!! HOLY CRAPBALLS!!!! My knees ached. my legs screamed, my heart raced from the sheer terror inside my rushing bloodstream.



Now I did not think that I was afraid of heights. However, with an open air style staircase and the ground going farther and farther away from your feet, my heart raced and raced even more. i can proudly say that I made it to the second level of the tower and decided against going any higher. I bought myself a lime green Eiffel Tower in the gift shop and took in the majesty of the city from that level and began the descent to Earth. What an awe inspiring experience!

No comments: