Sunday, July 3, 2011

PDA and other signs of affection

Call me a stalker...but I am just not used to seeing this on American soil!!!!







I found this portion of the trip truly romantic and began to think..."Why Are Americans not as outwardly showy with their true signs of affection?"

You see people in the middle of the street very close in each other's personal space. Kissing in street cafe over a glass of wine and bread...

The French greeting is three cheek kisses. Right. Left. Right. Make sure to not turn away with just two or they will be offended!

Our tour guide in Barcelona, Aida, who was a wonderful spirit said goodbye to us with the same kisses on the cheek. It was really cool!!!!!!


Perhaps it is the European culture.



Perhaps it is the way we as Americans are raised?
Perhaps it is the "I don't give a damn" mentality so many Europeans today maintain?

And I say BRAVO to that!



Perhaps Americans are too hung up on other things...like economy, politics, Glenn Beck, stardom, our outward appearances towards other countries or even each other, or just making things too complicated...Perhaps we need to simplify things down to what is truly important?


It was really sweet to see two men walking down the street holding hands and truly focused on just each other and what the other was saying. Was also neat to see heterosexual men carrying their girlfriend's purses...you definitely DO NOT see that in America!!!


Is Chivalry dead? Can we honestly say that American men are knights in shining armor and will lay down their capes for their true loves to walk over protecting them from the muddy sidewalks? At times, doubtful...


Or are we a society so caught up in our own problems that we forget what happened to our romantic side? Gawkers be damned?

I would hope that this is not the case...



Whatever happened to the true gentleman buying his true love a rose while he/she is away in the bathroom? I find that incredibly romantic? This gentleman did just that and the look on her face when she returned was absolutely so sweet and priceless, I had forgotten what a blush truly looked like. Where are the American men who do that anymore?


There is a bridge that crosses the River Seine on your way to the Louvre. It is a plain bridge that has a metal railing and a chain link bottom. What makes this bridge stand out is that there is a custom that lovers started on this bridge. When you and your lover come to Paris, you bring a padlock with you. Does not matter the size. You come to this bridge and write your names on it. You place a wish on it and a dream for your love on its sides. You both lock it to the chain link and both throw the key into the rushing river below. Locked together forever. Romantic huh?



I thought that this was probably the most romantic thing I had ever heard of. Maybe its because I feel love for the first time in my life for someone who truly completes me. I have not ever felt this way about anyone in my life. And after two years, I still feel the butterflies and gooshiness and sugary sweet tears when I come upon a sappy poem or hear a truly powerful piece of love song...that I never "GOT"...and now I do.





Love is a powerful thing. I begin and end my day with thoughts of him. I have never felt this way before and it is a beautiful thing.


I wish that I had a padlock on this day...but who knew about this cultural phenomenon?? I sure did not...Plus, my true love was not with me on this trip. But this gives us fodder to go back and bring a HUGE heavy DUTY padlock and a strong sturdy key.


We would walk hand in hand across that bridge and lock ours on the railing and toss that key into the water with the huge hopes we each have for our futures together.

No comments: