Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pere-Lachaise Cemetery












I have saved the most favorite site for last on my photo montage of my Parisian excursion. Kinda morbid some would think...some would also say deeply moving and personal. It is probably the most peaceful sight in Paris filled with many many rows and avenues of cobblestone paths and dirt roads. Peace and solitude. Marble and metal. Filled with memories and rest. This sight is Pere-Lachaise Cemetery, the sight of many human beings resting places, of commoners as well as the famous...writers, singers, composers, rock stars, playwrights, artists...profound... my heart fluttered at the possibilities of the search to find the final resting sights of those famous people I had only read about, admired, and performed in my small amount of days her on Earth...






Our tour guide gave us a wonderful scavenger hunt for our kids. The sheet stated, "Pere-Lachaise is the largest cemeteries in Paris, covering an area of 118 acres of land. The Pere-Lachaise cemeteries is recognized as the most visited cemeteries in the world attracting millions of visitors annually. 200 year old graves of popular dignitaries carry information inscribed on the edifices. The land was bought in 1804 and the cemetery itself was constructed by Napoleon himself" The kids were given a certain amount of time and a list of all of the famous persons buried in this hallowed sight. They had to take a clear picture of the grave and bring it back for our viewing. The student team that had the most pictures won a prize. Our students teams each brought back three each. I think they found themselves more moved than they expected to be..








Famous French playwright Moliere's grave site is off the beaten path. We had to search and just came upon it by chance.

























Oscar Wilde's final resting site. I had the honor of playing the role of Lord Alfred Douglas in "Gross Indecencies: The 3 trials of Oscar Wilde" back in Omaha...so this sight truly took my breath away and brought tears to my eyes. I loved the kiss marks all over and know that Oscar would love it too... "We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars!!!" YES!!!!





This is the final resting place of Jim Morrison. This is another grave site that you have to search for as it is back off the beaten path. Upon arrival, I was expecting much more graffiti and cigarettes and liquor bottles...however they must have gone through a clean-up phase in the area...please note the blue T-Shirt lying peacefully on the grave...That would be a NLR Wildcat T-shirt...imagine Liz and my surprise upon finding the grave and noticing it. It really made me smile and it was all the kids could talk about when we all reconvened in the front of the cemetery. I believe it be a fitting tribute...along with the wine bottle filled with lyrics, a unsmoked cigarette and lighter.




This is the final resting site of the famous painter Georges Seurat, known for his Post-Impressionistic Pointillism painting, especially his most famous A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte 1884-1886. This painting was the basis for Sondheim's musical Sunday in the Park with George. I JUST taught this unit lesson in my theatre classes this year for observation! I was so humbled and amazed and thrilled to know that this prolific painter and artist was buried on such hallowed ground!




Upon exiting the cemetery, we asked a security guard a couple of questions. The most mind boggling information that he had for us was that 3 million people are buried within Pere-Lachiase Cemetery's walls...can you imagine...3 MILLION. Blew my mind...

No comments: