Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Gaudi's Sacre Familia



We have already discussed the impact that artist Antoni Gaudi has had on Barcelona. Nestled in the center of the city is a unfinished masterpiece that has people flocking by the thousands. It is his cathedral known as "Sagrada Familia" and was begun in 1882. He designed the cathedral to have four sides...three of them would each have a design of one of the moments in Christ's life: Nativity, Passion, and Glory. Gaudi dedicated the last years of his life to this design and construction of this awe inspiring monument. He died in 1926 and less than a quarter of the project was complete. It is not complete tot his day, but is a work in progress. If I remember correctly, cathedral completion is scheduled for 2026...the anniversary of Gaudi's death


This one obviously is "The Passion" Gaudi placed himself at the foot of the cross and if you look closely...this is the inspiration that George Lucas took to design the stormtroopers. I wish I could place arrows on these pictures to show you the examples. Just trust...










This is the "Nativity" side. Note the "Christmas tree" design on the top of the doorway. AMAZING!!

Kinda busy...but amazing.


The work continues on the "Glory" side of the cathedral. Scaffolding, plastic, and suspense looms on this end.

On a side note: The throngs of people in the area was immense! I had the same rush of heart beats here that I experienced in the McDonald's in Paris and in the streets of New York. This thought process leads me to believe that maybe I am a tad bit claustrophobic and don't like to be large large LARGE crowds...my pulse races, heart rushes, and I just get tense. The quicker out of there the better.

Makes me sad realizing this at such a sacred, holy sight.

No comments: