Friday, July 1, 2011

The Museum du LOUVRE Experience!!!













All of the grandeur and opulence of this experience is amazing. I have chosen not to talk about the ceilings and frescoes until a later date. (Yes I did walk around this place with a crick in my neck...the ceilings are works of art unto themselves!!)





To think that this amazing museum was once a palace in which someone lived...SERIOUSLY??? Takes your breath away. From the moment you cross the Seine on this quaint bridge( with another story to share at a later time), enter its East Gate into a plaza and begin your trek south into the main courtyard, you can feel the immenseness of it all. How can one person truly live in something like this??














The glass pyramid is awesome!!! And then to experience the inverted glass pyramid in their information area...nothing like it!!! Nearly 35,000 objects, ranging from the more detail marble sculptures to the most gloriously detailed paintings that look almost like photographs, from prehistory to the 19th century are displayed over an area of 652,600 square feet!!! You would need DAYS to experience it all.



The Mona Lisa, the painting that everyone and their dog goes to see, is really cool. It is hung on a wall by itself and is protected by a protected glass and barricades. I think it is a bit overrated in comparison to the other paintings in the area. It is push and shove and cameras in the air to try and get close enough to a canvas of a smiling woman not more than the size of a 11X14 canvas?? If you stand facing the MOna Lisa and turn around and face the back wall of the gallery, the ENTIRE wall is filled with one painting that has to be like 700 billion feet wide and 500 billion feet tall...maybe I exagerate?? LOL!!!




One awesome experience I had while attending the Louvre...was actually not the viewing of the Mona Lisa. We had just walked into the viewing rooms of 17th century paintings and I am with one of my students. I have had him in class for the entire last year. I am a few steps in front of him and I begin to hear lots of exhales and heavy breaths. I turn around and the tears are streaming down his cheeks and he says, "Mr. H, I just cannot believe that I am here. I am finally here! I am sorry for crying!" As I am digging for the Kleenex from my backpack, I told him, "Can you believe it? We are finally here and its okay. This is an emotional experience for all of us!"



That is the culmination of my entire Louvre experience! That made the trip entirely worth it. To experience the beauty, the grandeur, the overwhelming glory of this beautiful site...to experience that with him and have that moment...One I will not ever forget!!!














No comments: