Thursday, January 11, 2018

Nicknames I have and the stories behind them


This was a journal entry from Pinterest and it just cracked me up!!
We ALL have had nicknames, some more endearing than others, that have followed us through life. And it changes as we navigate through our life's path.
Depending on the various hats we are wearing at the time.


When I was ALOT younger, I was called BRANDY.
THEN I went to seventh grade and felt older...and came home after my first day and announced to my parents that I was TOO OLD for BRANDY 
and that I would now be just BRANDON. 
I was blossoming into my own.

But all during this time my dad affectionately called me BOOGER (I guess cause I was his little booger) but it fluctuated actually between BOOGER and just plain BOOG. There are some times when I catch him wanting to call me this and sometimes he still does.

My mom would call me Bunkins. And I loved that one very much...but jump ahead to that fateful day coming home from seventh grade and those nicknames were forced out the doors to a more mature calling...

My co workers call me "BBH", which is what I sign my emails off with.

My students, when I first started teaching, had many names for me...
B-Dawg, 
Higgle (according to my giggle), 
Mr. H....

and then I got married...
and my kiddos just didn't know what to call me...

Box? 
Higdem? 
Box-Higdem

Nowadays, my kiddos call me a number of different things and I answer to any of them...Hey BOX. Mr. Higdem...
Mr. Box-Higdem
BH

My closest friends call me just plain "B".

I love my nicknames so much as they kind of define my journey in life and the different hats I wear on a day-to-day basis. They all show transition out of certain avenues and stages of my life as well...and showcase a need to be understood and not be embarrassed. 

They are endearing.
They showcase fond memories and stages of my life.

And I am just grateful for the smile they each bring to my face as I recall these fond memories of nicknames.


No comments: